With so much information floating around, its hard to not get sucked in without actually learning something new. Documentaries pave the way forward regarding the way they tell the story. Historically, documentaries have often debunked truths, destroyed your version of reality and created a new one in place. So, I’ve listed six documentaries revolving around the world of fashion. Read on to find out more:
1. True Cost: A great watch to dip your toes in the world of fashion. It explores the side of fashion that conglomerates don’t want you to find out about. From the cost of your clothes to the long-term effects of mass production, I highly recommend it to anyone who wants to find out more(and isn’t the biggest fan of reading).
2. Valentino: The Last Emperor: A film about the fashion giant Valentino as he left the company he founded. The film crew was given an unprecedented amount of access into the world of Valentino. A great watch if you’re big on brands or just a lover of high fashion.
3. Iris: This one is for everyone. Iris Apfel, an 87-year-old woman has served a long time in the design industry and witnessed the change of 9 American presidents! Nine! Besides, she’s sweet and takes no-crap. A must watch just for her unique collection of costume jewwellery that even had its own exhibit at the MET’s Costume Institute.
4. Zara: The Story Of The World’s Richest Man: Zara loyalists, listen up, this documentary is crafted for you. This movie showcases the inner workings of the fast fashion giant and its founder’s rise to the top.
5. Chasing Beauty: While we are all obsessed with Gigi Hadid and the rest of Taylor’s squad’s IG, this documentary puts a spotlight on a startling discovery. 25% of American women would rather win America’s Next Top Model than a Nobel Peace Prize. Although not strictly a fashion documentary, a must watch in my books, just the same.
6. Manolo: The Boy Who Made Shoes For Lizards: A deep dive into the world of SATC’s favourite designer, Manolo Blahnik. This documentary explores the crazy side of fashion with interviews with famous faces.
Do let us know in the comments below which Documentaries are on your Netflix queue, this weekend?